Expresso! Exporter is a Photoshop extension aimed at improving the texturing workflow for 3D Artists. It automatically exports textures to common file formats (TGA, PNG, etc.) out of PSDs containing multiple maps.
The extension is open-source and free for both personal and commercial use.
- Quickly export textures from PSDs containing multiple maps organized in groups.
- Channel pack multiple maps to a single texture by defining which Photoshop group you want to export in each image channel (RGBA). For example, you can have an opacity map saved to the red channel and a roughness map saved to the green channel of the same texture.
- Multiple export formats supported: TGA, PSD, PNG, TIFF, JPEG.
- Multiple export scaling options: 200%, 100%, 50%, 25%, 12.5%.
- Filters: apply blur, sharpen, invert on export.
- Normal maps: normalize normal maps or flip X/Y axes on export.
- Settings are saved into the document as XMP metadata, so that you’re immediately good to go as soon as you reopen the file.
- Expresso! Exporter 0.6.4
What’s new? - Source Code
Photoshop CC 2015 and above (Windows, Mac).
See the Help section below for information about how to install the plugin. If you find the plugin useful, please spread the word and consider buying me a real espresso to support further development! ☕
Supporters 🥂A big thank you to the following people for their generous donations:
- Helder Pinto
- Gregory McDonald
- Vlad Moiseienko
- Ross Castro
- Mario Kotlar
- Alberto Cordero
- Vesa Närhi
- Jamie Read
- Daniel McGowan
- Valentin André-Terramorsi
- Etienne Beschet
- Roy Theunissen
- Stanly Jeong
…as well as to everyone who donated anonymously!
Expresso can be installed in a couple of ways:
- Anastasiy’s Extension Manager: a free utility that can be used to install, remove and update Photoshop extensions. Installing Expresso is as easy as dropping the downloaded ZXP file into the application. This is the recommended installation method.
- ExMan Command Line Tool: a free command line utility from Adobe. This installation method is recommended for advanced users only.
Once installed, you can find Expresso in the Window → Extensions menu (or Extensions (legacy) if you’re using Photoshop 2021 or later).
ZXP Installer has been the recommended installation method for the past few years. Unfortunately it’s no longer maintained and, starting from Photoshop 2021, installing using this method fails randomly on Windows.
Initial SetupFor the extension to work correctly you need to make sure that Enable Generator and Enable Remote Connection options are checked in Preferences → Plug-Ins. Also make sure that Service Name and Password are set to their default values (“Photoshop Server” and “password” respectively).
The extension will show an error message if it fails to connect to Photoshop.
Keyboard ShortcutsFrom version 0.6.0. Two keyboard shortcuts are available to export all targets or enabled ones. They can be configured inside the Edit → Keyboard Shortcuts dialog, in the File → Scripts section.
The same shortcuts are available in the File → Scripts menu.
ScriptingFrom version 0.6.0. Export can also be triggered from ExtendScript, which can be useful if you need to integrate Expresso in your scripts.
// Load PlugPlug ExternalObject.PlugPlugExternalObject = new ExternalObject("lib:PlugPlugExternalObject"); // Trigger export const eventObj = new CSXSEvent(); eventObj.type = "com.expresso.exporter.exportAll"; // Or "com.expresso.exporter.exportEnabled" eventObj.data = ""; eventObj.dispatch(); // Unload PlugPlug ExternalObject.PlugPlugExternalObject = undefined;
Found a Bug? Have Feedback?Feel free to join the Discord server or reach out to me by e-mail or Twitter if have any questions. Also feel free to open an issue on the Github repository of the project.
When you report a bug, try to be as specific as possible. Make sure to include the steps to reproduce it and attach your log files as well. Logs are extremely valuable when investigating bugs and can be accessed by clicking View Logs from panel context menu, or manually at the following locations: